The parish of Lochcarron was in deep spiritual darkness until God visited the area with a revival of religion in the early 18th century. Lachlan Mackenzie became minister of Lochcarron in 1782. He was known as one of the most eminently pious ministers of that era. Every Lord's Day the church was crowded with people eager to hear his powerful preaching. The four searching and edifying sermons in this book are the first published sermons of the minister affectionately and reverentially known as 'Mr Lachlan'. The book also contains a poem by Lachlan MacKenzie and a memoir written by his sister.