"Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth." Psalm 60:4

Our Southern Zion: Old Columbia Seminary (1828-1927)

Our Southern Zion: Old Columbia Seminary (1828-1927)

Our Southern Zion: Old Columbia Seminary (1828-1927)

GBP16

Price: 16.00

 
David B. Calhoun
408 pages
A few blocks from the First Presbyterian Church of Columbia, South Carolina, is a fine antebellum mansion, the Robert Mills Historic House, named for the man who designed it. The house, beautifully restored, with Regency furnishings, marble mantelpieces, and sterling silver doorknobs and locksets, reflects the wealth and culture of Ainsley Halt, the man who briefly owned it. More fitting, however, would be desks and tables and books of the professors and students of Columbia Theological Seminary, which made the house its home for almost a hundred years. The rooms of the main floor were the classrooms, where George Howe trained generations of Southern ministers in biblical exegesis, where James Henley Thornwell taught Calvin's Institutes, where John Adger explained the sacraments and church polity, and where John Girardeau set forth the great themes of Reformed theology. It was in one of these rooms that two students organized the Society of Inquiry on Missions in February of 1831.